Title 5 Sample Collection Instructions
Coliform Bacteria Sampling:
- Remove the screen/aerator from the faucet before collecting the sample.
- Dry the mouth of the faucet and wipe with alcohol. (If sample must be collected from an outside faucet, first clean with bleach).
- Run the cold water for at least two minutes.
- Collect a sample in a sterile container, leaving some air space in the container.
Ammonia and Nitrate Sampling:
After coliform bacteria collection fill bottles provided. Ammonia sample will be preserved with sulfuric acid upon receipt at laboratory.
- If the water sample is being taken from a faucet, let water run for five minutes before taking sample.
- Carefully remove cap from vial and fill slowly until meniscus is above the top of the vial.
- Carefully replace the cap and tighten.
- Turn vial over and gently tap. Look for air bubbles.
- When bubbles are present, remove the cap and add more sample.
- Take two samples per source.
*** Caution – Each vial contains acid. Use eye protection and wear gloves. ***
A final report will be mailed when all tests are completed. Turnaround time is approximately 10 business days.